Tuesday, June 13, 2017

RACE REPORT # 316-Long Island State Parks Summer Series #1 - Hecksher State Park


What an incredibly hot day it was today.  Compared to the extremely cool spring, this was a real slap on the behind.  Today was the start of our "step" competition between our site and our co-HQ site in Davidson, and despite the two cutovers, the back, the race tonight and the heat, I wasn't about to get off on the wrong foot.  Many feet instead were had during the 92 degree parking lot..

Driving out to Hecksher State Park was uneventful 'cept for the traffic just getting onto the Long Island Expressway,  Once there, we learned that the race had been shortened from the original 5 miler due to poor air quality.  Poor air quality in NY?  What a surprise!

As this was a circular race course (see photo above) I had been hoping the nice tailwind we had during the first mile would come back for the end.  A very flat course, with over 2,000 people running it.  I lined up after the 7 minute milers close to the 8 minute marker.  I ran hard out the first mile, posting a 7:30 something, and had to slow down for mile two to make sure I had some gas left in the tank to post a good strong sprint.

The heat was pretty bad.  There were no clouds in sight.  Fortunately, the 7pm start had the sun at our backs, so that by the time we passed Mile 1, it was a little further down the horizon as we turned to face it.

For my musical playlist I decided I wanted to throw down to some throw backs, and decided to go with the often offensive, often impressive rap group from the Nineties, called 'Public Enemy'.

I dug hard the last quarter of a mile or so, finishing up the grass, with my tongue, inches out and flailing like some thirsty bulldog.   What do you expect when you do a sub-8 in 88 degree weather?

I walked back to the camp area after the race, got my beers, and found a park bench to sit down on.  The Garmin watch had auto-updated its software, and I was having trouble finding my lap time.
Eric Miller, my colleague also did well too.  We were both spent.

I was absolutely getting eaten alive by gnats now.  Damn fucking gnats!

I went back to my car, had my little post-race snacks and drove home.  Too tired to do much of anything, I just relaxed on the couch and watched Banshee.....until I noticed I was about 1000 steps shy of 20k.   'That's unacceptable!', I thought.  I needed to break that threshold.  So into the basement I went, to finish off my steps on the dreadmill.

And now....How did I exactly do?
Well let's start with the bio's






As you can see, it was a flat race.  As you can also see, I kept the pace pretty close at all times until the end where I really killed it to the point that I was averaging my last .15 in a 5:57 which went as fast as a 4:55 !!  My performance condition rating was as high as a +14, and I was able to keep over 10 for the first mile.  My stride was 1.2 meters on average, but again, took in super long strides at the end, nearly 1.6 meters during the 'kick'.   My cadence didn't do as well however.  I managed a 182 spm but as you can see on the chart that degraded over the course of time due to exhaustion from the heat and keeping the pace up, I imagine.  Interestingly though, my vertical ratio went drastically down.  This coincided with my stide lengtening at the end.  My GCT was up, and again , it too came down.  But my heart rate stayed high. 70% in Zone 5.  Jeeeeeeeeeez!!!

What was the net result of all of this you ask?????
Perhaps the best stat of all was the PowerRank Score...

Even if you exclude the ColorVibe 5k, which was an absolute joke as no one was competing but me (and hence the 1st place finish across the board), I have had an "Incredible" rating for two consecutive races.  Plus, I've raised the overall 2017 bar to 189.45.  I won't rest until that fucker is clearly in the 200s.

My next race is a New York Road Runners' 5-boro Grand Prix race, the Queens 10k, on Saturday, followed by yet another Long Island State Park Summer Series race on Monday.  Both are 10k's and both are brutal (especially the latter one where there is a 200 foot hill made of sand. BRING IT THE FUCK ON!)

Lastly, if you take a look at my Boston (Race #314,) you will finally see the photographic evidence showing how I was robbed!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment